Ottawa Patent Agency logo

FAQ: I have disclosed my invention to the public.
Can I still apply for a patent?

You can still apply for a patent in the US and Canada, if the patent application is filed within 1 year of the earliest date of public disclosure.

You should file at least a US Provisional for the publicly disclosed invention as soon as possible, and NOT await the expiry of the 1 year grace period.

A public disclosure may be caused by a printed or an oral disclosure or a disclosure via electronic media, or a sale or an offer for sale, or a use of the inventive device or method in public, or making the invention available to the public in any other way.

For example, if you have already sold an innovative product for more than 1 year, then you can no longer get a patent for the product.

Contact Us for any questions Back to FAQ

© Ottawa Patent Agency Incorporated